Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting a grip!

I can't believe it's March 17 and I haven't written in four - FOUR months! Um... okay so maybe I do believe it..... I have been avoiding it...... I decided that this blog is for all of those who want to know about this journey, the good, the bad AND the ugly! This past year has been one in which I have learned more about myself than ever before, but it wasn't the most fun and beautiful thing in the world. Remember my post in November? It's not like you have to dig much to find it.... it's two before this one. I said I was learning a lot and was having a hard time.... It started right around then and I am finally coming out of it now! In talking to people it seems apparent that I am a trite and true sufferer of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I would have thought I may have had it to a very small degree, but not so. That in combination with the fact that my Vitamin D levels were also low poses a one-two punch for my attitude! Spring is coming so that is helping my attitude a little, but I have also started taking Vitamin D3 daily to help with my mood. Mood? Check.
I know that when I work, I get a lot of excercise (walk upwards of 5 miles in a shift and burn about 700-800 calories) but what about when I don't work? I can take Fenway for a walk but since my base level is so high from what I get at work I need more than a neighborhood walk. I joined World Gym this week and love it so much! I am getting the real workout that I need. I can still take Fen for a walk and to the Dog park but that is just extra and on top of what I am already getting and I like it that way! Excercise? Check!
Here's the best part! And, it's two fold! I have started taking Concerta for my ADD that was needing some serious attention (pun intended!) and am noticing a REAL difference! Not only does it help with attention and remembering daily tasks, but it is helpful with focusing, it curbs my appetite, and helps send that voice of reason when it is needed to curb those impulses I so frequently have. The Impulsive buys, the impulsive eats...etc.... Part deux is that I am finally seeing a therapist! She is wonderful and we get along so well! She knows just what to add and I don't hold a thing back with her! She is helping me to be the best person I can possibly be! Mind? Check!
I had slowly been gaining weight starting right after I posted the before and after pictures and had gained a total of 15 lbs. I have lost 10 of those in the last two weeks. I am feeling motivated and good and that makes me keep feeling motivated! I know that right now things are good and I will hit a hurdle again at one point or another, but I will be better equipped to handle these hurdles as they come at me! To those of you who support me, thank you a million times! I can't tell you what it means to me knowing you are out there!

1 comment:

Carlson4 said...

WTG Schuyler! You're looking great! Glad to hear that you've taken steps to helping yourself feel better mood-wise. I took Vitamin D to get me through the winter. I probably should have added D3, but we've been outside more now that it's warmer so that's made a huge, huge difference. Plus, Bode is sleeping in his own room now and is only up a couple times per night. I miss you! Glad to hear you're taking care of yourself! :-) Hugs! Krista