Tuesday, May 26, 2009

....and we are off!!

Hi there everyone! All two or three of you! My name is Skye and I am 10 days - yes... 10 days out from having the lab band placed on the outside of my stomach. Why would anyone ever do this to themselves?? I am obese... I feel like I should be saying "Hi, my name is Skye and I am obese", - then your line is "Hiiiii, Skyyyyyyye....." I know some people might think this is a personal thing to go through, and indeed it is. I know I am opening myself up to potential rude people, but I feel like this is the first step in my recovery. My profile picture is what I am considering my "Before" picture and I will wear the same t-shirt and take pictures as time goes on so you are able to see the difference the time makes!


I thought I should do an FYI post to start out. What is the LapBand system?


I will have a band placed on the outside of my stomach with the ability to fill with saline and tighten it. It has the capacity for 10cc's which is about equal to two teaspoons of saline. Doesn't seem like much, but it actually is. There will be a portal on the upper left side of my large intestine in which the nurse will fill the band with more saline or take saline out if there is too much. That's about it for now. I will post a separate post re. my wonderful pre-op diet.... that is such good times.... ;P

6 comments:

Bic said...

I hope the procedure goes well for you, Skye!

I live in Portland and have a blog too. I stumbled on your blog when I clicked on "Portland" in my Blogger profile. Nice blog, good luck with it!

Bic

Sherry said...

Your father-in-law and I are so very proud of you! You will fare very well with this procedure. Take care and God Bless you and yours. Love, Mike and Sherry

Unknown said...

yaaaay skye!! I love the idea of wearing the same t-shirt- nice touch!! Im so excited for u!!! Xxx your sis

Unknown said...

Yaaaay skye!!! Im so excited for u... Love the idea of wearing the same t-shirt- nice touch. Lalu! Xxx your sis

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you. I can't wait to follow your journey. Plan to read it every morning so hope you plan to write alot.

Cheryl

Agnes said...

Skye, What an exciting adventure. I am really happy for you baby! I will follow your journey here, (since I never see you anymore!). I"ll be thinking of you June 5.

<3 Maggie