Friday, June 5, 2009

I am now in "Life after the Lap Band procedure"!

Today started like any other. I woke up, got in the shower, we fed Fenway and left. Here's where it changes: we woke up at 4AM and instead of heading to our perspective places of work, we drove together to Maine Medical Center's Scarborough campus. Today was surgery day. We arrived a little early and were greeted and let into the building by Talky McTalkerson, the security guard. SUPER nice and informative, just obviously had about 178 cups of coffee throughout the night. The new campus at Scarborough is beautiful and the waiting room is wonderful! I had no doubt that Seth would be taken care of while I was away. The staff there were wonderful - with one exception... (I will talk about that in a little bit... wait for it... it's SO worth it!) My nurses were so kind and efficient and welcoming. I remember after being wheeled to the OR, they had me change over to the OR table and when the Nurse Anesthetist said that she was going to make me sleep I said "Thank you all." I remember them replying to that and then woke up feeling like I had just been attacked by all those people I had just thanked! I felt like I had been kicked in the abdomen about 25 times and couldn't breathe fully. As I was waking up and remembering that I had had surgery, she was telling me that they were going to give me more morphine in my IV. Did nothing... After 5mL of Fenergen and 8mL of Morphine, still NOTHING was doing anything for the pain! It was the worst pain of my life thus far, seriously. So, my recovery RN got an order for oral pain meds - Tylenol and Hydromorphone. Also gave me Dilaudid in my IV to try to act instantly while the Hydromorphone and Tylenol acted more slowly. Remember how I said there was one exception to how wonderful the staff was? Here it is.... As I was trying to catch a breath and focus on getting through the pain I was in, Oxygen mask on my face, I hear two ladies, RIGHT in my doorway - there were no doors, just curtains - bitching about a co worker or a boss or someone. Not using private talk voices. Regular voices that I am sure ANYONE could have heard in that hallway!! I came really close -and I should have said - to saying "SHUT UP!!!" Couldn't believe they were having that convo in a hallway where there were people recovering and in pain! So inappropriate! Anyway, I made it through the pain. Something I wasn't expecting was the discomfort from the gas they pumped into my abdomen! Once the pain from surgery was controlled, my chest felt SO tight and there was a terrible knot feeling on my right side. They said it is common to have that. The stomach is swollen and pushing against organs and the gas inside was pushing too. Good times! The hard part of that was that I just couldn't get comfortable, so I said as soon as I could, that I would like to get up and walk. I figured that would make me feel better. Got up and into a recovery chair and got my discharge instructions and they said I was free to go whenever! We got home at about noon and Seth made three trips to Shaws to get me various things and my scripts and had to make a trip in to city hall. He is now sleeping - I told him to! He was unbelieveable and a rock through this all and I just feel so lucky to be his wife! I just love him so darn much! Thankfully, that pressure went away for the most part at around 2PM so I am feeling MUCH better and like I can get comfortable. Feel free to call and visit anytime you like! Just give me a heads up if you are coming over! Love to you all and thanks so much for all your support! I couldn't have done this without the emotional backing and support of people like you.

2 comments:

Cally said...

So glad the surgery is all over for you! So, begins the next phase of the already wonderful life of Skye Aldrich. xo Mom

Unknown said...

YAYAAYYAAAYAYAYAYYYYY SKIX!!!
I am thinking of you....
xxx
Kate