Monday, June 1, 2009

T minus 4 days...

I have to say I never thought it would come this fast... I am starting to get the nervous feeling but more because of the unknown.... I am unsure of how I am going to recover - not physically, not scared of the operation, but I am so unsure of what I will be able to handle. Everyone is different and recovers differently and so there is no way of knowing for sure what I will be able to handle.
I am trying to make the decision of what to eat for my post-op diet. There are two choices: both equally un-desireable..... Option 1 is to drink five protein shakes a day - will be so sick of protein shakes that I am not sure I will be able to do five a day for 14 days...... Option 2 is to drink three protein shakes a day in addition to 2-2oz protein servings blended (no chunks - yes, that means in a blender.... ) 1-8 oz serving of dairy and one serving of fruit/vegetable/starch - ALL foods have to be blended with NO CHUNKS - can you imagine putting chicken in a blender? Do you have to do that with stock? Don't you need something to make it the consistency or something? What about cottage cheese in a blender? Tofu blended? Um..... not so sure about that... Dairy I can do.... fruit/vegetable/starch, I can do.... the protein I am not so sure about.... the samples and options they give you for proteins are:
2oz. Chicken
2oz. Ground Turkey
2oz. Fish/Tuna Fish
2oz. Cheese or Soy Cheese
2 Eggs or 4 Egg Whites or 1/2C. Egg Beaters
2oz. Deli Meat (No Roast Beef)
1/2C. Cottage Cheese (Small Curd)
1C. Tofu
Can't make much of anything work..... not sure I want to do any of these, thanks.... any ideas?

The cough is much better, thanks everyone for your concern. I was given cough syrup with codeine and have FINALLY slept like a baby the past two nights! He said it seemed viral, though understood the importance of staying healthy for the surgery, so he gave me a perscription for Azithromycin in case it turned into Bronchitis. I kept it and thought that if I wasn't better by today, I would fill it but I feel much better and so I didn't fill it. Just need to get my voice back to normal now and get rid of the residual cough and I will be perfect!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi sweetums -

Years ago, at the ansteraunt, there was an older woman that came in frequently and..........who had a digestive problem, among many other maladies which I won't list here (ask me sometime). In any event, her family always had her dinner blended - and I mean the ENTIRE dinner - so that she could drink it with a straw. She said, in her own fashion, that she could taste everything. Frankly, I tried it, and I could too. I mean clam chowder, peas CHICKEN SHORTCAKE, french fries, etc. Kind of weird but I mention this just to show you that 1.) it can be quite good and, 2.) you can blend chicken, etc. Sooo, do not think it is all that bad and plan accordingly.

BTW - I am with you all the way and love you dearly.

XOXOXOX

Moi

Erica Page said...

Skye,
First of all I am so excited for you and will be keeping you in my thoughts over the next few weeks. I wanted to comment on the food aspect - I drink a ton of protien shakes during a given day and they really good. I have come up with a few different mixtures that I wanted to pass along (not sure ify ou have have all of them post op, but maybe a little bit down the road..) My standby is the chocolate EAS powder with water. I have found that one scoop for 8oz of water is what tastes best to me. My second favorite is vanilla powder mixed with gatorade - tastes just like an orange creamsicle. I will also mix chocoloate powder, ice, frozen cherries and little bit of Peanut butter with my blender (not too many chunks, more flakes of skin on the cherries), and finally - Apple Pie in a glass (this one is not completley smooth, feels like coconut flakes in your mouth) one small diced apple, two scoops of vanilla powder, ice, and cinnamon and enough water to make it blend well.
As far as cottage cheese in the blender - it is actually really good - I will mix it with a scoop of chocolate powder and it tastes like chocolate cheese cake.
Could you eat baby food for blended protien? I don't think I could put meat in a blender either, but I am pretty sure I could handle buying a jars of it!!
Anyways, I am kinda rambling, but again, I am so excited for you and will be praying for you!!!
(if I come across any more exciting protien powder recipes I will be sure to pass along!!)
Best of Luck!!
Erica (countrychic820)

Unknown said...

You'll do fine. I remember when I got pregnant with Seth... one day I said to myself - OH MY GOD... what did I get myself into? I was terrified of childbirth, of caring for a baby when I'd never ever even held a baby, of everything. Then it all happened and all the planning in the world never propared me for the "after" - both good and bad.

It'll all be one day at a time, and, like what I felt when I looked into the face of that beautiful child, you will look in the mirror at that beautiful face of yours and say "I can do this for the face I am looking at".

And later, when you have attained your goal you will look back and ask yourself "What was I so nervous about?"

Good luck!!!!!!